Saturday 6 February 2010

WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES...




The day in question is tuesday the 12th january.
This day started as a normal day,(apart from Matthew was off school poorly). The events that occurred are going to be hard to talk about butI feel need to be said to help us recover ,move forward and get on with our lives.
Around 10.15 am we had a power cut or so we thought , but having become aware of crackling noises in my craft room ceiling we knew something was very wrong. On inspection upstairs it became very clear from the smoke that our home was on fire.
I have been trained to work in emergency situations but this was different, this was personal.
After calling 999 the smoke very quickly became unbearable and we had only moments to save anything precious, of course Matthew was my top priority and I literally threw him out still with his slippers on !
It seemed like forever till the engines came but I'm sure time was moving differently for us as we just stood helpless and watched our family's home burn.
I have only great things to say about the emergency services and all 3 attended the scene although the police and ambulance were not needed,thank God.
We saw 3 changes in crews as the day wore on as they fought to extinguish the blaze and then remove all burnt and damaged timbers and belongings. It is quite surreal to see your belongings burnt and charred and heaped in a big pile on your front lawn.
By now the news was spreading and we made the local radio and the city paper.
We are so lucky to have my parents nearby and without their love, support and letting us move in with them, I don't know what we would have done without them.
The fire ravaged 5 rooms including ours and my daughters bedrooms , my craft room and the loft but the smoke and then the water have increased this damage further.
My craft room and bathroom.

In the days that followed I would like to thank our friends for all their help with packing and moving what remained, I couldn't have done it with out them physically or mentally as just re-entering our house brought on waves of nausea that were difficult to control.
Now 3 weeks on , we are settling in a rented house as we will be here for quite some time.
I can't deny that I relive our experience when I least expect it , but we have to move forward and go back to the every day , school , homework, laundry...

I will document our journey here but will continue to blog the everyday too

11 comments:

  1. I was so sad to hear about this Sheena, and your beautiful house so recently finished. Just glad all of you are safe, AnnXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sheena, how awful for you and your family, and look at your poor craft room! I am so glad no-one was hurt. HUGE hugs and happy thoughts for you all. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Sheena, how awful. Glad to hear you and your family were safe and I hope that you can rebuild your home quickly. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its good to see you back Sheena. I can't believe the damage to the house! From the back, you wouldn't know it had happened. I felt for you and the family on that day and I hope you managed to save as much as you could from the fire, but the main thing is that you are all OK - I know personal belongings cannot be replaced, and this is the hardest thing, but furnishings, etc can. I'm glad you have settled into your rented house. If you need anything any time, just ring. Take care, love Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheena, so sorry to read about what has happened. Glad you and your family are safe. Take Care. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Big Hug sweetheart, remember I'm only a phone call away, speak soon xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Sheena, how sad.I'm so sorry to read about this. Let me know if I can help, I'm only round the corner!
    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheena I know how devastating this has been for you but hopefully you are turning a corner now and can set plans in motion to build back a family home - a home is not bricks and mortar but being altogether where ever that may be. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gosh what an awful thing to happen, I'm so very sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So much love coming your way ... it must feel like a black hole, but just remember that you WILL climb out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheena, I have only just read about this and I can't begin to imagine what you've been through....Sending lots of love Mandi ooop north :)

    ReplyDelete